Thursday 6 November 2008

My Star

http://library.thinkquest.org/C005626/images/neb/reflect.jpg

My Star

All, that I know
Of a certain star
Is, it can throw
(Like the angled spar)
Now a dart of red,
Now a dart of blue
Till my friends have said
They would fain see, too,
My star that dartles the red and the blue!
Then it stops like a bird; like a flower, hangs furled:
They must solace themselves with the Saturn above it.
What matter to me if their star is a world?
Mine has opened its soul to me; therefore I love it.

Robert Browning

This thirteen verse poems of Browning can be divided into two parts. The first eight verses, which are quite short (four to five words per verse) detail the author's knowledge of his star. This star continuously changes, shooting darts of red or blue. In the remaining five verses the poet talks about of how his friends have stars as well. The poet's star hangs after having stopped over him. The poemm is concluded with the phrase "Mine has opened its soul to me; therefore I love it." (verse thirteen). I believe that the star in this poem is one's true love. The person that someone love changes continually. This change could be in personality, in attitude, in everything. Also, even though many other people have stars, the speaker doesn't care if their loved one might be "better" than his, because his love has opened her soul to him. This could mean that he has embraced fully his true love and loves her no matter what. I personally think that everyone has a star, but only a few can completely embrace it.

A few facts and an analysis of "My Star"

No comments: